Get to know Dr. Joe
I am fundamentally interested in eliminating social injustices borne by adults in poverty (frequently members of racial and ethnic minority groups) that threaten families and enable disease and disability for everyone in those families. I do this by studying adults’ everyday work and family life, and how these experiences “get under the skin” to produce poor health for both parents and children.
All of my academic training has been interdisciplinary.
B.S. Health Promotion & Wellness (University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point)
M.S. Human and Community Resources (University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point)
Ph.D. Child and Family Studies (University of Wisconsin)
Postdoctoral training, Social Ecology of Health (University of California Irvine)
Publications and Other Scholarly Activities
Published over 250 articles in flagship disciplinary and interdisciplinary journals including:
- Journal of Marriage and Family
- American Journal of Public Health
- American Journal of Industrial Medicine
- Journal of Health and Social Behavior
- Journal of Occupational Health Psychology
Proud to admit…
- 15 years of continuous National Institutes of Health funding
- Led P20GM109097-A1 ($11,246,458), a Center for Biomedical Research Excellence to launch the extramural competitiveness of promising emerging scientists
- 2015-present, Norejane Hendrickson Professor of Family and Child Sciences
- Fellow, National Council of Family Relations
- 2012-2015, George Kaiser Family Foundation Endowed Professor of Family Resilience
- 2012, 2nd Highest NIH-funded investigator nationally in Departments of Family and Community Medicine
- Rosabeth Moss Kanter Award for Excellence in Work-Family Research, Top 20 publication
A Day in my Life
Top 5 from “StrengthFinders”
Achiever – Satisfaction from being productive
Learner – Committed to continuous improvement
Input – A Craving to know more
Belief – Purpose is driven by strong core values
Activator – Talented in turning thoughts to action
I am the proud husband of Kim, and dad to Josiah, Noah, Ethan and Monika. Each of the kiddos is gifted in a unique way that let’s us know that God has a sense of humor!
Our family enjoys spending time at the beach, skimming the surface of a lake on skis or a tube, and exploring new areas. We enjoy Packers games, and sharing a meal and time with friends and family.
Words to Live By
Research for the sake of knowledge is nice, but meaningful research produces a demonstrative improvement in the everyday lives of real people!