Get to know Dr. Diop
My educational and instructional experiences have taught me that the ultimate aim of education is not just knowledge, but also actions taken to improve social lives. As an educator, I am interested in not only fostering active learning, but also moving students from awareness to action driven performance. My goal is to support students to become valuable social scientists, practitioners, or educators. My research is primarily concerned with Global/immigrant families along inclusive approaches and participatory action research.
Ph.D. Family Science & Human Development, Montclair State University
M.A. Family and Child Studies, Montclair State University
B.A. Family and Child Studies, Montclair State University
Publications and Other Scholarly Activities
Diop, M.K. & Stewart P. E. (2016). Polygamy in Africa. In: The Wiley Blackwell Encyclopedia of Family Studies (ed C. L. Shehan), 1595 – 1597. Oxford: Wiley Blackwell.
Stewart, P. & Diop, M.K. (Under review). Polygamy and West African family relationships. Marriage & Family Review.
Diop, M.K. (2001). Eye on Africa. Africa Books. Bogota, New Jersey.
- Conference co-chair of the Theory Construction & Research Methodology (2020) – NCFR
- United Nations Guest Speaker (2019, 2017, 2016, 2014) – United Nations
- Human Spirit & Cultural Harmony Award (2019) – A.V. – Commission on the Status of Women
- Humanitarian of the Year (2018) – A Touch of Africa, New York.
- Community Leadership Award (2017) – The City of Newark Municipal Council
- Founder & CEO of African Women Global Initiatives (2017) – NGO
- Graduate Student Speaker (2013) – Montclair State University Commencement
- Honoree of Summa Cum Laude (2008)
- Ambassador for peace (2007) – Universal Peace Federation
- Best Multicultural Children’s Book Award (2005) – Bergen County Board of Freeholders