Get to know Dr. McWey
I am passionate about using my Marriage and Family Therapy (MFT) training as a researcher and clinician to make a positive difference in the lives of families. I am particularly interested in the mental health needs of families deemed “at-risk” by the child welfare system and evidence-based relational interventions aimed to improve well-being. I am a licensed Marriage and Family Therapist and state and AAMFT approved supervisor.
- B.S. Psychology (Florida State University)
- M.Ed. Mental Health Counseling (University of North Florida)
- Ph.D. Marriage and Family Therapy (Florida State University)
Publications and Other Scholarly Activities
Published research in flagship disciplinary and interdisciplinary journals including:
- Journal of Marriage and Family
- Journal of Marital and Family Therapy
- Child Maltreatment
- Journal of Research on Adolescence
- Family Relations
- Our team was awarded the U. S. President’s Volunteer Service Award — Awarded for the delivery of evidence-based parent education to local families experiencing homelessness.
- Florida State University Distinguished Teacher Award
- Florida State University Graduate Teaching Award
- Florida State University Graduate Faculty Mentor Award
- Florida State University Undergraduate Teaching Award
A DAY IN MY LIFE
“Be the change that you wish to see in the world.”
My husband, Scott, and I are the parents of two amazing people who make us proud and laugh often. I am also the oldest of 4 siblings and am thoroughly enjoying the joys that my beautiful new nieces and nephews bring to our growing family.
WORDS TO LIVE BY
“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.”