Get to know Dr. Wilson
As director of the Florida Center for Prevention Research, I am passionate about providing innovative research, education, and other services that aim to prevent problems and strengthen the lives of individuals, families, and communities. As teaching faculty in Family & Child Sciences, I am dedicated to excellence in teaching that prepares students to understand the major challenges facing families in the 21st century, and to help optimize human development and family well-being. I am especially interested in preparing students to become future family life educators.
- B.S. Family & Child Sciences (Child Development concentration) (Florida State University)
- M.S. Family Relations (Florida State University)
- Ph.D. Family Relations (Florida State University)
Publications and Other Scholarly Activities
Wilson, C. B., & Darling, C. A. (2017). Understanding stress and life satisfaction for children of clergy: A retrospective study. Pastoral Psychology, 66(1), 129-142.
Alabama Department of Children’s Affairs, Office of School Readiness, First Class Pre-K Grant, awarded 2016 for University of Montevallo, Child Study Center
United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) Child Nutrition Program Grant, awarded 2015 for University of Montevallo, Child Study Center
Current Principle Investigator for the following sponsored projects:
- The Real Project, sponsored by the National Social Norms Center at Michigan State University and one of FSU’s alcohol abuse prevention programs.
- Calhoun Middle School Social Norms Project, sponsored by Chemical Addiction Recovery Effort, Inc. (CARE).
- Sexual Violence Prevention Project (High School Green Dot Program), sponsored by the Florida Department of Health, in collaboration with the Panhandle Area Educational Consortium.
- The Responsible Retailing Forum, jointly conducted by Florida Center for Prevention Research (FCPR), Florida State University and the Heller Graduate School, Brandeis University.
Certified Family Life Educator through the National Council on Family Relations
Certified Instructor for the following curricula:
- Systematic Training for Effective Parenting (STEP)
- Prevention and Relationship Enhancement Program (PREP)
- Premarital Interpersonal Choices and Knowledge (PICK) a Partner Program
- Ernest Outstanding Commitment to Teaching Award, College of Education, University of Montevallo, 2016
- College-Wide Commitment to Service Award, presented by Office of Service Learning and Community Engagement, University of Montevallo, 2015
- Dean’s Scholar, College of Human Sciences, Florida State University, 2010
- College of Human Sciences Dissertation Award, Florida State University, 2006
- Doctoral Dissertation Award, Florida State University, 2005
A DAY IN MY LIFE
“Let all that you do be done in love.”
I have been married to my husband Mike since 1992, and together we have three awesome children: Elizabeth, Brittany, and Cade. Together we highly value faith, family, friends, and fun! We love spending time on our boat, vacationing at the beach, playing with our five dogs, working around our family farm, and taking care of our goats and chickens.
WORDS TO LIVE BY
“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something. And because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do.” – Edward Everett Hale