Get to know Dr. Berryman
My lab assesses physiological and metabolic adaptations to nutritional and environmental interventions in humans, specifically energy expenditure at high altitude, hypoxia and weight loss, determinants of total and regional body composition, and lipid and lipoprotein metabolism.
- Postdoctoral Fellowship, Military Nutrition Division, U.S. Army Research Institute of Environmental Medicine
- PhD, Nutritional Sciences, Penn State University
- BS, Nutritional Sciences, Penn State University
Publications and Other Scholarly Activities
For a complete list, click here.
Berryman CE, Lieberman HR, Fulgoni VL III, Pasiakos SM. Protein intake trends and conformity with the Dietary Reference Intakes in the United States: analysis of the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 2001-2014. Am J Clin Nutr. 2018; [Epub ahead of print].
Berryman CE, Young AJ, Karl JP, Kenefick RW, Margolis LM, Cole RE, Carbone JW, Lieberman HR, Il-Young Kim, Ferrando AA, Pasiakos SM. Severe negative energy balance during 21 d at high altitude decreases fat-free mass regardless of dietary protein intake: a randomized controlled trial. FASEB J. 2018;32(2):894-905.
Berryman CE, Fleming JA, Kris-Etherton PM. Inclusion of almonds in a cholesterol-lowering diet improves plasma HDL subspecies and cholesterol efflux to serum in normal-weight individuals with elevated LDL-cholesterol. J Nutr. 2017;147(8):1517-1523.
Berryman CE, Sepowitz JJ, McClung HL, Lieberman HR, Farina EK, McClung JP, Ferrando AA, Pasiakos SM. Supplementing an energy adequate, higher-protein diet with protein does not enhance fat-free mass restoration after short-term severe negative energy balance. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2017;122(6):1485-1493.
Berryman CE, Agarwal S, Lieberman HR, Fulgoni VL III, and Pasiakos SM. Diets higher in animal and plant protein are associated with lower adiposity and do not impair kidney function in US adults. Am J Clin Nutr. 2016;104(3):743-9.
- Student Interest Group Travel Award, American Society for Nutrition, 2014
- Clinical Emerging Leader Award Finalist, American Society for Nutrition, 2013
- Jeremiah and Rose Stamler Research Award for New Investigators Finalist, American Heart Association Council on Epidemiology and Prevention, 2013
- Graham Endowed Fellowship, Penn State University, 2009-2010
A Day in My Life
“It is nice to be important, but it’s more important to be nice.”
– John Templeton
Married to Steve Hennigar and co-parent to our mischievous dog, Burrito.
Words to Live By
“Variety is the spice of life.”
– William Cowper