Get to know Dr. Kim
My primary research interests focus on the study of muscle catabolism and other neuromuscular changes related to aging (e.g. sarcopenia), diseases (e.g. cancer cachexia), physical activity levels (e.g. sedentary, overtraining), nutrition (e.g. caloric restriction, high caloric diets), and physical function. These have led to a broad spectrum of translational research ranging from cellular changes in muscle cells to clinical outcomes of whole body performance using both human and animal models.
- Post-doctoral Fellow and Research Associate, the Department of Physiology and Biophysics, School of Medicine, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL (2003-2006)
- Ph.D. in Exercise Physiology, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH (2002)
- M.S. in Exercise Physiology, Ball State University, Human Performance Laboratory, Muncie, IN (1998)
- B.S. in Physical Education, Kyung-Hee University, Seoul, Korea (1992)
Publications and Other Scholarly Activities
Lee, S.R., Khamoui, A.V., Jo, E., Zourdos, M.C., Panton, L.B., Ormsbee, J.M. and Kim, J-S. Effects of Conjugated Linoleic Acids and Omega-3 Fatty Acids with or without Resistance Training on Muscle Mass in High Fat Diet-Fed Middle-Aged Mice. Experimental Physiology, In press, August 2017.
Khamoui, A.V., Park, B-S., Kim, D-H., Yeh, M-C., Oh, S-L., Elam, M.L. Jo, E., Arjmandi, B.H., Salazar, G. Grant, S.C., Contreras, R.J., Lee, W.J., and Kim, J-S. Aerobic and Resistance Training Dependent Skeletal Muscle Plasticity in The Colon-26 Murine Model of Cancer Cachexia, Metabolism, 65(5):685-98, 2016.
Zourdos, M.C., Jo, E., Khamoui, A.V., Lee, S.R., Park, B-S., Ormsbee, M.J., Panton, L.B., Contreras, R.J., and Kim, J-S. Modified Daily Undulating Periodization Model Produces Greater Performance than a Traditional Configuration in Powerlifters. J. Strength Condit. Res. 30(3):784-91, 2016.
Lee, S.R., Khamoui, A.V., Jo, E., Park, B.S, Zourdos, M.C., Panton, L.B., Ormsbee, J.M. and Kim, J-S. Effects of chronic high-fat feeding on skeletal muscle mass and function in middle-aged mice. Aging Clin Exp Res., 27(4):403-11, 2015.
Zourdos, M.C., Henning, P.C., Jo, E., Khamoui, A.V., Lee, S.R., Park, Y.M., Naimo, M., Panton, L.B., Nosaka, K., and Kim, J-S. Repeated bout effect in muscle-specific exercise variations. J. Strength Condit. Res. 29(8):2270-6, 2015.
Henning, P.C., Park, B-S., and Kim, J-S. β-Hydroxy-β-Methylbutyrate Improves Bone Properties and Attenuates the Depression of Protein Synthesis during a Simulated Sustained Operation. Mil Med. 179(6):679-685, 2014.
Kim, J-S., Khamoui, A.V., Jo, E., Park, B-S., and Lee, WJ. β-Hydroxy-β-Methylbutyrate as A Countermeasure for Cancer Cachexia: A Cellular and Molecular Rationale. Anti Canc Agents Med Chem. 13(8):1188-96, 2013.
Park, B-S., Henning, P.C., Grant, S.C., Masad, I.S., Lee, S-R., Arjmandi, B.H., and Kim, J-S. HMB Attenuates Muscle Loss during Calorie Restriction and Prolonged Exercise. Metabolism. 62(12):1718-29, 2013.
- Have 65 peer-reviewed articles published or in press with 88 published abstracts that were presented at national meetings
- Have been awarded over 1.5 million dollars of internal/external funding (e.g. ONR, USDA, the State of Florida, FSU, TOC foundation, and industry, etc.)
- As a major advisor, graduated six doctoral, ten master’s, and three undergraduate honors thesis students since 2007, and currently directing 5 doctoral and three master’s students
- Have also served as a member for 75 graduate student (30 doctoral and 45 master’s) committees both within and outside the department
- Currently serve as a Graduate Program Director (2015-present) for the Department of Nutrition, Food and Exercise Sciences; Associate Director of the Center for Advancing Exercise and Nutrition Research on Aging; and a Faculty Affiliate of the Institute for Successful Longevity, the Pepper Institute, and the Institutes of Sports Science & Medicine at FSU.
A DAY IN MY LIFE
“For the foolishness of God is wiser than human wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than human strength.”
– 1 Corinthians 1:25
I got married in 1994 with my wife Young-im Park and have three daughters: Sarah (freshmen at UNC Chapel Hill), Grace (10th grade), and Bella Kim (7 years old MinPin).
WORDS TO LIVE BY
“But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.”
– Matthew 6:33