The Clinical Skeletal Muscle Physiology and Biochemistry Lab is accepting applications for post-doctoral fellows and/or graduate students. Please contact Dr. Koutakis for more information.
Get to know Dr. Koutakis
My research interests focus on the development of strategies to improve skeletal muscle tissue in the legs of patients suffering from peripheral artery disease (PAD). PAD is a chronic atherosclerotic condition that decreases blood supply to the legs producing significant damage to the muscle. Our laboratory evaluates the mechanisms that produce the leg dysfunction of PAD utilizing experimental and computational modeling including cell culture, animal studies and human clinical studies.
- Postdoctoral Fellowship, Department of Surgery, University of Nebraska Medical Center
- Ph.D., Biomedical Sciences, University of Nebraska Medical Center
- M.S., Exercise Science, University of Nebraska
- B.S., Exercise Science, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki
Publications and Other Scholarly Activities
For a complete list, click here.
Koutakis P, Ismaeel A, Farmer P, Purcell S, Smith RS, Eidson JL, Bohannon WT. Oxidative stress and antioxidant treatment in patients with peripheral artery disease. Physiol Rep. 2018 Apr;6(7):e13650. doi: 10.14814/phy2.13650. Review
Xu J, Cui X, Li J, Koutakis P, Pipinos I, Tzeng E, Chen A, Sachdev U. Chloroquine improves the response to ischemic muscle injury and increases HMGB1 after arterial ligation. J Vasc Surg. 2017 Mar 1. pii: S0741-5214(17)30189-1. doi: 10.1016/j.jvs.2017.01.021.
Koutakis, P., Myers, S.A, Cluff, K., Ha D.M., Haynatzki, G., McComb R.D., Uchida, K., Miserlis, D., Papoutsi, E., Johanning, J.M., Casale, G.P. Pipinos, I.I. Abnormal Myofiber Morphology and Limb Dysfunction in Claudication. J Surg Res. 2015 Jun 1;196(1):172-9. doi: 10.1016/j.jss.2015.02.011. Epub 2015 Feb 13.
- National Institute of Aging Research Project Grant (1R01AG064420)
- American Heart Association Scientist Development Grant (17SDG33630088)
- American Heart Association Postdoctoral Fellowship (15POST25520004)
- American Heart Association Pre-Doctoral Fellowship (13PRE13860010)
- Scholar of Alexander S. Onassis Public Benefit Foundation
A Day in My Life
“When, from ‘filotimo’, we make God happy with our life then He generously gives blessings to his ‘filotima’ children.”
– St. Paisios
I am from Greece and married to my beautiful wife Eva.
Words to Live By
“It is a great art to succeed in having your soul sanctified. A person can become a saint anywhere. He can become a saint in Omonia Square, if he wants. At your work, whatever it may be, you can become a saint through meekness, patience, and love. Make a new start every day, with new resolution, with enthusiasm and love, prayer and silence — not with anxiety so that you get a pain in the chest.”
— St. Porphyrios