Get to know Dr. Laitano
Overall, my lab focuses on the identification of basic biological mechanisms of health and disease using pre-clinical models designed to address the complexities of clinical settings with the ultimate goal of improving human health. Specifically, my research interest is centered around two major areas: 1) mechanisms of sepsis-induced myopathy in aging and 2) pathophysiology of Exertional Heat Stroke and disorders related to hyperthermia.
- B.A., Physical Education. Lutheran University of Brazil
- M.S., Human Movement Sciences, Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
- Ph.D., Human Movement Sciences, Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
- Post-doc, Skeletal Muscle Biology/Physiology, University of Florida, Gainesville, USA
Publications and Other Scholarly Activities
For a complete list see Google Scholar.
Laitano O, Robinson GP, Garcia CK, Mattingly AJ, Sheikh LH, Murray KO, Iwaniec JD, Alzahrani J, Morse D, Hidalgo J, Clanton TL. Skeletal Muscle INTERLEUKIN-6 Contributes to the Innate Immune Response in Septic MICE. Shock. 2020 Aug 20. doi: 10.1097/SHK.0000000000001641. Online ahead of print.
Mankowski RT, Thomas RM, Darden DB, Gharaibeh RZ, Hawkins RB, Cox MC, Apple C, Nacionales DC, Ungaro RF, Dirain ML, Moore FA, Leeuwenburgh C, Brakenridge SC, Clanton TL, Laitano O, Moldawer LL, Mohr AM, Efron PA. Septic Stability? Gut Microbiota in Young Adult MICE Maintains Overall Stability After Sepsis Compared to Old Adult MICE. Shock. 2020 Aug 20. doi: 10.1097/SHK.0000000000001648. Online ahead of print.
Laitano O, Murray KO, Leon LR. Overlapping mechanisms of exertional heat stroke and malignant hyperthermia: evidence vs. conjecture. Sports Med. 2020 Jul 6. doi: 10.1007/s40279-020-01318-4. Online ahead of print.
Iwaniec J, Robinson GP, Garcia CK, Murray KO, de Carvalho L, Clanton TL, Laitano O. Acute phase response to exertional heat stroke in mice. Exp Physiol. 2020 Apr 13. doi: 10.1113/EP088501. [Epub ahead of print]
Garcia CK, Sheikh LH, Iwaniec JD, Robinson GP, Berlet RA, Mattingly AJ, Murray KO, Laitano O, Clanton TL. Effects of Ibuprofen during exertional heat stroke in mice. Med Sci Sports Exerc (ahead of print) 2020.
Laitano O, Garcia CK, Mattingly AJ, Robinson GP, Murray KO, King MA, Ingram B, Ramamoorthy S, Leon LR, Clanton TL. Delayed metabolic dysfunction in myocardium following exertional heat stroke in mice. J Physiol. 2020 Mar;598(5):967-985. doi: 10.1113/JP279310
Laitano O, Leon LR, Roberts WO, Sawka MN. Controversies in exertional heat stroke diagnosis, prevention and treatment. J Appl Physiol (1985) epub ahead of print, 2019.
Laitano O, Sheikh LH, Mattingly AJ, Murray KO, Ferreira LF, Clanton TL. Osmolality Selectively Offsets the Impact of Hyperthermia on Mouse Skeletal Muscle in vitro. Front Physiol. 2018 Oct 31;9:1496.
Garcia CK, Mattingly AJ, Robinson GP, Laitano O, King MA, Dineen SM, Leon LR, Clanton TL. Sex-dependent responses to exertional heat stroke in mice. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2018 Sep 1;125(3):841-849.
- Military Physiology Postdoctoral Research Award – Environmental & Exercise Physiology Section – American Physiological Society (2018).
- International Travel Award – Gatorade Sports Science Institute – European College of Sports Science, Barcelona, Spain (2013).
- Visiting Graduate Student Award – Gatorade Sports Science Institute – Loughborough University (Advisor,: Professor Ron Maughan, Loughborough, UK (2004).