Get to know Dr. Parvatiyar
My interests are centered on the development of therapeutic interventions to improve systolic function in dilated cardiomyopathies and other conditions culminating in heart failure. Additional interests include understanding discrete mechanisms of how innate immunity plays a role in cardiomyopathic disease and post myocardial insult.
- Postdoctoral Fellowship, University of California Los Angeles, School of Medicine
- Ph.D., Pharmacology, University of Miami, School of Medicine
- B.A., Biology, Thomas More College (Crestview Hills, KY)
Publications and Other Scholarly Activities
Veltri T, Landom-Vieira M, Parvatiyar MS, Gonzalez-Martinez D, Jones DK, Michell CA, Dweck D, Landstrom AP, Bryant PB and Pinto JR (2017) Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy cardiac troponin C mutations differentially affect slow skeletal and cardiac muscle regulation. Physiol./ doi:10.3389
Parvatiyar MS, Marshall JL, Nguyen RN, Jordan MC, Richardson VA, Roos KP and Crosbie-Watson RH (2015) Sarcospan regulates cardiac isoproterenol response and prevents Duchenne muscular dystrophy associated cardiomyopathy. Amer. Heart Assoc. Dec 23;4(12). pii: e002481
Martins A*, Parvatiyar MS*, Feng H-Z, Bos JM, Martinez DG, Vukmirovic M, Turna R, Sanchez-Gonzales MA, Badger C-D, Zorio D, Wang Y, Jin J-P, Ackerman MJ and Pinto JR (2015) (*co-first author) In vivo analysis of troponin C knock-in (A8V) mice: Evidence that TNNC1 is a hypertrophic cardiomyopathy susceptibility gene Cardiovasc. Genet. Oct; 8(5):653-64.
Parvatiyar MS and Pinto JR (2015) Pathogenesis associated with a restrictive cardiomyopathy mutant in cardiac troponin T is due to reduced protein stability and greatly increased myofilament Ca2+ BBA General Subjects 1850(2):365-72.
Parvatiyar MS, Landstrom AP, Pinto, JR, Figueiredo-Freitas, C, Ackerman, MJ and Potter JD (2012) A mutation in TNNC1-encoded cardiac troponin C, A31S, predisposes to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy and ventricular fibrillation. Biol. Chem. 287(38):31845-55.
Parvatiyar MS, Pinto JR, Liang JS, Potter JD (2010) Predicting cardiomyopathic phenotypes by altering Ca2+ affinity of cardiac troponin C. J. Biol. Chem. 285(36):27785-97.
- 2017-18 AHA-FIT Fellows in Training Program (Western States Affiliate)
- 2016 Center of Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy Annual Scientific Session -Postdoctoral Poster Competition (UCLA) (1st Place)
- 2016 American Heart Association Scientist Development Grant
- 2014 CureDuchenne Fellowship Award
- 2011 NIH Ruth L. Kirschstein National Service Award – Postdoctoral Fellowship
- 2009 American Heart Association Postdoctoral Fellowship
- 2005 American Heart Association Predoctoral Fellowship