Exercise Physiology, B.S./M.S.
Bachelor's & Master's of Science in Exercise Physiology
Current undergraduate majors in exercise physiology at FSU may apply for the B.S./M.S. combined degree program. Earn your M.S. in only one additional year beyond the time it takes to finish your bachelor’s degree.
About the program
Florida State University’s leading-edge programs in Exercise Physiology are preparing students to pursue a wide variety of health-related careers through a series of rigorous courses in each program that provides a firm foundation plus essential scientific and technical knowledge and practical skills. The 4+1 program will allow current undergraduate students in the Exercise Physiology degree program at FSU to complete the graduate degree (M.S.) in only one year beyond the bachelor’s. Eleven (11) credit hours will double-count toward the B.S. and M.S. degrees in Exercise Physiology.
This program only admits for the spring semester. All application materials must be received by the deadline posted. More information can be found below.
Program Deadline: October 1
Graduate Courses Double-Counting for (Undergraduate) Credit
Eleven of your graduate credit hours will double-count toward your B.S. and M.S. degrees. The following courses are taken during the last semester (spring only) of the undergraduate degree:
|Hr Credits||Course #||Graduate Course||UG Requirement Met|
|4||PET5077||Physical Dimensions of Aging||PET4076|
|3||HUN5938||Special Topics in Nutrition: Medical Terminology||2nd Human Sciences Core|
- An upper-division undergraduate GPA of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- A current FSU undergraduate student in the Exercise Physiology major with 90 credit hours (transfer students should have completed 24 credit hours at FSU).
- Successfully complete all prerequisites for PET4551C.
- A Graduate Record Examination General Test (GRE) score; Required minimum of 150 in both verbal and quantitative sections and a 3.5 or higher on the writing section. Please note that it can take up to ten (10) days after sitting for the GRE for an official score report to be sent to the university.
- International students must have an official TOEFL score of at least 550 (paper-based) or 80 (Internet-based) to meet university requirements. Our department does not accept other English proficiency examinations (i.e. IELTS).
- Before you submit your online application and pay the application fee, you should contact the College of Human Sciences mapping coordinator to see if you are eligible.
Attainment of these minimum requirements does not guarantee admission to the program. Admission decisions are based on assessments of all aspects of the student’s application materials. The department reserves the right to increase standards if warranted by enrollment limitations and by the number and quality of applicants. Financial aid is a separate process from the admission to a graduate program.
Application Process & Deadlines
Only complete applications will be reviewed. This program only admits for the spring (October 1 application deadline) semester. All application materials must be received by the deadline posted.
- Apply Online to the M.S. in Exercise Physiology (major in Exercise Physiology) and pay the application fee.
- Upload a personal statement (statement of purpose) outlining your research interests and career goals. You must state that you wish to be considered for the BS/MS combined degree (4+1) in Exercise Physiology. Include how your background and prior training make you a good candidate; why Florida State University is a good fit for you. We strongly encourage applicants to familiarize themselves with the research interests of the faculty in their area of specialization. Please indicate your top choices of faculty members with whom you would like to work.
- Upload a resume or vita (information should be current).
- Enter contact information for a minimum of three recommenders. The recommenders should be professionals you have worked with who are familiar with your academic performance and can speak directly about your qualification for this degree. Academic recommendations are preferred, but relevant professional recommendations will be accepted. No personal recommendations or letters from peers will be accepted. The system will directly contact your recommender and provide them with a link to upload their letter. Letters must be received by the deadline indicated.
- Submit official test scores (GRE and, if required, TOEFL) to the FSU Office of Admissions. The school reporting code for test scores is 5219; no department code is required.
- We require transcripts from EVERY post-secondary institution you attended. If you have already submitted the transcripts to FSU, we have access to them.
Please allow a minimum of ten (10) business days for the Office of Admissions to process your incoming materials.
If you have any questions about the application process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: Bypass to the Ph.D. degree is not allowed for students admitted into the BS/MS combined degree (4+1) program.